- 6 medium egg whites
- 350g caster sugar (use vanilla sugar if possible)
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) vinegar – optional
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) corn flour – optional
- Parchment / greaseproof paper
- 284ml carton of double cream / whipping cream
- 2 x 250g punnets strawberries
- 2 x 215g punnets raspberries
Preheat oven to 140°C 275°F Gas Mark 1.
- Whisk egg whites until very stiff then whisk in the sugar a teaspoon at a time (don’t over whisk as the egg whites will go runny again).
- Blend the vinegar and corn flour (these are optional but in using them you will get a slightly chewy centre to the meringue), and fold into the mixture.
- Place the parchment / greaseproof paper on 1 large or 2 smaller baking trays.
- Spoon the meringue mixture onto the paper and spread it as you go to make 2 circles, each about 20cm in diameter (I put a plate of about that size under the parchment as a guide and then remove it when I’ve finished spreading out the mixture).
- Bake the meringues for about 1 hour, until firm.
- Allow to cool, and then carefully remove the paper. Whip the cream.
- Wash the berries and hull the strawberries.
- Roughly squash 1 punnet of the strawberries and add to the cream.
- Cut the rest in half and gently fold into to the cream with the raspberries.
- Sandwich the 2 meringues with the berry cream mixture just before serving.
- Don’t assemble too early as the cream melts the meringue.
Nutrition Info (per serving): 374 calories, 17 g fat.