Prep and cook time: Up to 30 mins Serves: 6
Ingredients 3 large eggs
- 115g plain flour
- 1 x 15ml spoon (heaped) baking powder 140ml milk
- Pinch of salt
- 2 knobs butter
- 3 x 5ml spoons caster sugar
- 4 bananas Crème fraîche
- Separate the eggs, putting the whites in one bowl and the yolks in another.
- Combine the plain flour, baking powder and milk with egg yolks, and mix until it forms a smooth, thick batter.
- Whisk the whites with salt until they form stiff peaks.
- Fold these whites into the batter – it is now ready to use.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a moderate heat.
- Pour some of your batter into the pan, and fry for a couple of minutes until it starts to look golden and firm.
- Loosen with a spatula, and either turn or flip the pancake over.
- Continue frying until golden, then stack on a plate.
- Repeat until all the mixture has been used.
- Melt the butter and sugar in a separate pan over a low heat until it forms a caramel sauce – about 3 minutes.
- Peel and cut the bananas lengthways, add them to the pan and cook gently until they are golden, turning after a few minutes.
- Serve them on the pancakes topped with a good spoonful of crème fraîche.
Great for a late breakfast or Sunday brunch. As a pudding, serve with a couple of scoops of good vanilla ice cream.