Prep and cook time: Up to 30 mins Serves: 4
- 2 eating apples, peeled and cored, cut into slice 25g icing sugar
- 75g self-raising flour
- 1 medium egg
- 100ml milk
- 15g butter, melted
- 1/4 x 5ml spoon vanilla extract
- Oil for deep-frying
- 2 x 15ml spoons caster sugar
- Sprinkle the apple slices with a 5ml spoon of the icing sugar.
- Set aside.
- Sift the flour and remaining icing sugar together in a bowl.
- Make a well in the center and beat in the egg and milk.
- Stir in the butter and vanilla.
- Heat the oil in a shallow pan to a depth of 2cm.
- To fry, dip each piece of apple in the batter then cook on each side in the hot oil until golden brown, drain on kitchen paper.
- Dredge with caster sugar before serving hot, with ice cream.
Nutrition Info (per serving): 33 calories, 2 g fat.